Friday, December 26, 2014

Wow, Now What?

Did you ever receive validation about something and then think, Wow, Now What? Weird feeling isn't it? I had my own Wow, Now What moment recently. Give me a few minutes and I will explain. Validation. We all want it. We want a lot of things. Sometimes we wish for things which we don't really understand in our wishfulness. I got validation this last November that I am indeed not well; just like I thought. I got disability due to my lung problem. It was a bittersweet validation. Now as a respiratory therapist I can read a pulmonary function test quite well. I didn't need anyone to tell me how crappy my lungs are; but there's something about folks agreeing with me as to how bad they are that hit me squarely between the eyes.  As I was telling my friend Barb, one minute I was rejoicing and thanking God (knowing I would be financially ok). The next minute I hit bottom when the validation of being as sick as I thought I was hit me. My thought was, "Wow, now what?" At that moment bittersweet was an understatement.

Please do not feel bad for me. Seriously.  Bittersweet validation though it was, crappy lungs do not have to equal a crappy life, quite the contrary; it was both a blessing and an opportunity. A blessing, in that I had been pushing myself to keep going for a long, long time and my body was letting me know it was getting really tired of being pushed. I needed to get off the merry-go-round to save my life. An opportunity, in that I  can write the book which I know is inside me and now give my time to this blog to help you. Well, that sounded presumptious. I really do hope to help you. 

I saw a great deal of suffering in my 34 yrs as a respiratory therapist. A lot of what I saw was unnecessary. A lot of it was quite simply rooted in malnutrition. Lifestyles of primarily processed and fast foods coupled with lack of exercise result in lifestyle disorders.

Fast food places have made it easy to not THINK about what we are eating. People assume if they are getting three meals a day they are covered nutritionally. Well, they aren't. Not if they are primarily eating processed and fast foods. Mindless eating is making us overweight and sick.

Back when I was working on my Masters in Holistic Nutrition I had breakfast with my Sis one morning. I was all excited about what I had been learning. I told my Sis if people just knew how much disease could be prevented and even reversed by just being mindful of what they eat it would change their lives. She said, "Pam, they don't care."

Well, I think you do care.  I think you care about changing the things in your life which don't promote health and wellness. And I care about you.

So I welcome you to go on a journey with me and allow me to help you change those things in your life which aren't making you healthy. It's not just about eating. It's about moving (and not just sitting) and thinking (positively) too. There are a variety of ways to subscribe to this blog. Come join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment