Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Magical Rose Garden


An amazing thing happened after I retired. I was sitting in my recliner and  realized I wasn't in a hurry. In fact, I hadn't been in a hurry for months. Nor had I felt stressed in a long time. Not being in a hurry is a delicious peaceful feeling. I thought back to all the times I was in a hurry. What a waste of time that was! What did that get me but a lot of stress? How many happy things did I miss while I was stressing being in a hurry? How many times had I delayed fun things because of current "busyness"? Most of us do that.

"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon --- instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today." - Dale Carnegie

We take so much for granted in our lives. We miss those roses Dale Carnegie talks about. So many glimpses of sunlight in our lives we entirely miss. We get stuck in the busywork of life. We get stuck in our perceived problems and job stress and a million other things. We forget to live. 

Have you ever said it?

IF I had more time...
IF I had more money...
IF I had a bigger house..
IF I had a nicer car...
IF I had a better job...
IF only I___________.

If only this I'll do that. If never comes. All there is, is now. Are you living in the "now"? or in the past? or in the future if? Time is unforgiving. It marches on.  If there's something you want to do or some place you want to see make a plan right NOW to do so. Don't limit yourself with "ifs".  Work your plan and see and do the things you want to. Live every moment of your life. 

As Ralph Waldo Emerson reminded us, " We are always getting ready but never living."

As 2015 starts, resolve to slow down and enjoy each day to the fullest. Be present. Live now. Schedule fun! Whatever it is you enjoy; a concert, movie, sports game, learn a new language or lunch with a friend. Maybe just time set aside to enjoy a good book and a cup of tea. My mother used to tell me to pay myself first. She was talking about money. I'm suggesting you pay yourself first but I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about scheduling  time to live. When you schedule all the things you think you have to do; first schedule time for living.

                       "The key to enjoying the moment is to always carry a list of
                         "Things I Gotta Do That Can Wait". - Robert Brault, rbrault.BlogSpot.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment